Monday, September 30, 2013

The Choosing.

So this is something that I have thought about doing for a while. Sharing with you not advice, or rules, or opinions or anything like that. But today I am choosing to share with you a morsel of one of my friendships. And today I will tell you of The Choosing.

Let me take you through a bit of the process I go through when choosing a nickname/title for a friend. And by doing so telling you about a friend of mine.

So, we were never close enough to consider each other part of the pseudo or non-blood families we create for ourselves, and we were never romantically linked so no titles related to those would work. She's a pastor's daughter, but she's never looked at that as a way to define herself by either rebelling against it or playing it up. She's one of those people that has only really ever defined herself by being herself. I could call her The Coyote, not because she resembles a coyote (which she absolutely does not) but because we both describe our own singing voices with the same movie quote. "Like a coyote in a trash compactor," but I feel like giving her a nickname based on an inside joke just wouldn't do her the justice she deserves. Now because it's her I find this to be a little more difficult because I've never been able to pin her down or capture even a bit of her adequately, she has always been illusive to me in one way or another. I could call her The fox for the reasons above, but that might imply that she is hunted, but she is quite clever, and not bad on the eyes either for the other connotation of fox. We do have plenty in common but we were never two peas from the same pod, there is enough different between us for that analogy not to work. Calling her the variable might work, the unknown element, X in the equation, but that could make her seem like she is the answer to a question, or some missing piece but like I said above we were never romantically linked. Because if she is X, she has already found her Y. But if there is one thing I know for sure, she is not just one single thing, but many things, a blend or even an amalgam if you will. But that just doesn't really feel right. I could call her A, but that is too simple for her, unless of course it was a stylised A. Now what I could do is refer to her as the Greek letter alpha, it is after all still an A, which is the first letter of her name after all, and it could also stand for amalgam. But as well I do associate her with the beginning of something in my life. And so it is decided, she is alpha.

Post Script: She once asked me which song I would use to best describe her and I told her, after a bit if thinking that it was "In the Hall of the Mountain King." And I'd still say it was so if she asked.

No comments: