Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Christmas music.

Now, back to Christmas. This time Christmas music. I'm not gonna just talk about Christmas carols but as well the like winter themed music that comes out for the holiday season.

First I will talk about when to start listening to Christmas music, because from what I've been reading online it is a much disputed topic. I've seen people say that they listen to it "all year round", "not until after American Thanksgiving", and "not until December" are the three most common times that I see. Now, which of these is correct? Well, all of them and none of them because when you start listening to Christmas music is a personal decision. Now I feel like I should elaborate on something to do with this. You can listen to Christmas music whenever you want but when you start playing it out loud and not in your headphones you are essentially making someone's personal decision for them, and that my friends makes you a phallus, or at least phallus adjacent.

Second. On to types of Christmas music, because even when it comes to Christmas music there's genres and sub-genres. Once again proving things don't fit into a single box. First off you have the very traditional Christmas Carols that by definition bring out the CHRIST in Christmas. You know the songs I'm talking about, Silent Night, The First Noël, Angels We Have Heard On High. Then you have the carols that aren't so what could be called "Christ-heavy" and in there you've got things like Jingle Bells, and O Tannenbaum Tree. In summation the songs you'd expect carolers to go out and sing. Wait is caroling still a thing? I hope so. I was never pro-going caroling, But I am pro-listening. Then you have the fun "Kids" Christmas songs. Frosty the SnowmanRudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and You're a mean one Mr. Grinch to name a few. Now I call them "kids" songs because of where they came from, "kids" Christmas movies. But that's not right because Christmas movies can be are for any age, and can be enjoyed by any age. Also we have the modern Christmas songs, these are the new songs that don't necessarily follow the traditional standard of Christmas songs and yet still are Christmas timey songs, and in there we have for example Peppermint Winter and My Boots.
Now I know there are many more songs that I have not included, as well there are many types of Christmas songs not included. And this is of course only covers the lyrics of the songs not the musicality of songs and therefore I haven't even covered covers (Lawl) or parodies. But my purpose in writing this is not to list off types of Christmas music.

So on to my real point, it is simple, but not so much. Why I wanted to show that there are many Christmas songs, and types of songs therein. To show that there are both religious and non-religious Christmas songs. But I don't think that most people look at it that way. I'd like to believe that people think of Christmas songs as being in just the one box of being Christmas songs. 
Now I know that this conflicts with some of my previous statements, this is my blog and I am allowed to be conflicting, also my beliefs can fit into more than one box.
Back on topic. Everyone should be allowed to, nay, encouraged to listen to Christmas music no matter age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other things that groups us, and this is because Christmas music is wonderful and should be listened to.

Third is just a playlist of my top 10 favourite Christmas songs, just something I thought I'd share. Here! (No they are not in order) 

Post Script: Okay, because Saturday is my birthday I wanted to write a bit about birthdays on Friday, but I wanted to write about Christmas music in November because of the second paragraph. 

No comments: